The Waldorf School Pittsburgh is seeking a Front Office Manager to join a collaborative administrative team. This position carries a wide range of responsibilities including front desk reception, secretarial and administrative duties as well as safety procedures in service to the school community. The Front Office Manager engages daily with teachers, students, administrative colleagues, parents and visitors and is often the first point of contact for welcoming people into the building, receiving questions and engaging in problem solving. The work environment is dynamic with frequent interruptions. This position supports the Business Manager, collaborates with the Facilities Manager in managing the school calendar, and supports admissions and advancement efforts of the school. This salaried position is hired by, and reports to, the Head of School.
The ideal candidate has a warm and friendly demeanor, works well under pressure, is proficient with office equipment and software, has excellent communication skills both oral and written, is highly professional, and able to manage priorities with minimal supervision. An associate or bachelor’s degree and experience in school administration are preferred. Candidates ideally should have project management experience, comfort with database work, and the ability to create office systems. The ability to work well with a wide range of people, to maintain confidentiality, and to communicate with strong verbal and written communication skills is critical.
Waldorf experience is preferred. It is important candidates are open to learning about Waldorf Education and embracing the collaborative culture of the Waldorf School of Pittsburgh.
During the school year, hours are 7:30 am to 3:30 pm and in the summer approximately 8 am to 3 pm. There are approximately 2 weeks during the summer when work may be done remotely. Working during school fairs (Winter Fair and May Fair) and the annual fund drive kick-off is also expected.
- High school graduate
- BA or BS preferred
- Waldorf experience preferred
- At least two years of relevant experience preferred
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to organize, set and implement priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Completed or willingness to complete basic first aid training.
- Familiarity with MS Office and a database system (Big SIS preferred)
- Must be able to work in a typical office environment and to do basic maintenance on office equipment.
Applicants must also:
- Be able to climb stairs
- Pass background checks and child abuse screening prior to employment
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Health and dental insurance
- 90% tuition remission for school programs for employee’s child(ren)
- 2 weeks paid vacation
- 8 personal/sick days
To apply, please submit the following:
- A cover letter describing your aptitudes and your interest in the position
- A resume
- 3 professional references
Materials should be emailed to email@example.com. Electronic materials must be formatted as PDF or MS Word documents. No hard copy materials, please.
Please consider reading additional information on our website about Waldorf Education when applying.
- Maintain and update student files and design filing systems where appropriate.
- Maintain master calendar of all school events.
- Provide clerical services and support for teachers, board, and staff as needed (letters, announcements, mailings, etc.)
- Maintain school databases, email lists, and directories.
- Post information and updates to the school’s website
- Create monthly newsletter.
- Retrieve and disseminate mail and email each day. Answer phones and respond to inquiries, route inquiries to appropriate staff person, and document telephone messages.
- Perform general reception duties such as maintaining visitor logs and monitoring and answering doors for security purpose; ensure all visitors sign in and receive a Visitor’s Pass.
- Lock front door at 8:15 am every day and help to ensure doors are locked throughout the day.
- Maintain and order office supplies as necessary. Maintain the appearance of the office and main hallways, including bulletin boards and lost and found, watering plants, etc.
- Oversee routine and emergency maintenance of office equipment.
- Solicit donations for the school and match parent volunteers to requests from teachers and staff.
- Attend weekly administrative staff meetings.
- Abide by expectations outlined in the WSP employee handbook and is familiar with other school policies and procedures as outlined.
- Oversee bus transportation for all students. Maintain STARS cards for all City of Pittsburgh students.
- Track and process Extended Care schedule and collection of occasional use payments from families enrolled in the program.
- Receive late children and maintain attendance records.
- Provide basic first aid support to school children, including small injuries and illnesses.
- Create and distribute monthly newsletter.
- Provide administrative support for school events, festivals, and assemblies.
- Make arrangements for visiting teachers and speakers.
- Maintain first aid kit and liaison with the off-site school nurse and administer to sick or injured children
- Send out notices of infectious illnesses to parents
- Monitor children who are temporarily unable to be in the classroom.
- Maintain Act 90/195 orders and work with Business Manager to reconcile with the overall budget.
- Other duties as assigned.