Every Thursday, the Sundrop Kindergarten enjoys a hearty snack of Cornmeal Waffles. The children delight in helping Miss Penny mix up the batter and enjoy watching as Miss Penny and Miss Jennifer cook up enough waffles to feed 16 hungry Kindergarten children.
Recipe: Seriously Homemade Cornmeal Waffles (serves 8)
¾ Cup flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups corn meal
2 extra large eggs, separated
1 ¼ cups milk
½ cup melted butter
1. Sift flour, and add baking powder, salt, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
2. Add cornmeal to flour mixture and stir with whisk or spoon until all is combined.
3. With egg whites separated, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; set aside momentarily.
4. Beat egg yolks and add milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
5. Pour beaten egg yolks into flour mixture and stir.
6. Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter.
7. Cook using a waffle iron, according to iron’s directions.